Social Icons

Monday, March 4, 2013

Day One: The Plan

Every morning I'm going to try to post our daily plan and then update it throughout the day to let you know how it's going.  Each evening I'll try to post a reflection for the day.  Don't hold me to this, though! I'm taking it one day (and one meal, I'm already learning) at a time. You probably won't get as many or any pictures on my busy days!

I will also post all or most of the recipes on the Recipe pages as I go along, along with a rating of how our family liked them.


DAY 1 PLAN:

Breakfast - Breakfast Loaf, juice, black coffee
Lunch - Curry Meatballs w/ Tomato Sauce and Crockpot Green Beans
Dinner - Asian Beef and Broccoli
Snacks - kalamata olives and Pumpkin Hummus w/ baby carrots

 

BREAKFAST UPDATE: 

Sawyer is used to getting milk every morning, so this switch to fresh juice is going to be tricky. I let him pick out his fruits and veggies for his juice and he helped put it all on the juicer.  Giving him control over the process and responsibility for what turned up in his glass really helped him enjoy the juicing experience more than he has than when we just hand him something that we concocted. 

Today Sawyer picked apple, tangelo, carrot, lemon, green leaf lettuce, spinach, green pepper, and cilantro.  I added a bit of aloe vera gel at the end.

My juice today was pretty much the same, with a little heavier on the veggie side and lighter with the fruit. I added a stalk of celery and spirulina at the end.

Everyone liked the juice! Even Emery drank it down, and she is not as crazy about liquids as her big brother. 

The breakfast loaf was another story.  Emery gobbled it down, but her big brother wanted nothing to do with it.  I eventually cut down his portion size to three bites, and he still sat at the table for about 90 minutes before deciding to man up.  I think it was too much veggie and not enough egg, because Sawyer loves him some eggs! I think tomorrow I'm going to go simpler with him and try scrambled eggs and mushrooms.

Breakfast loaf was pretty good for me. I'm not a huge egg fan, but I'm going to learn to be.  Haven't gotten Ryan's take on it yet. 

NOTE:  If you are used to reading blogs such as "Just Eat Real Food", you are going be sorely disappointed with the photos of my food.  I don't need my food to look pretty as long as it tastes good.


LUNCH UPDATE:


Clean plate club all around! Lunch was a huge success. I added some cantaloupe to the menu for some color, and I think it was appreciated by all. Got an approval text from Ryan as well. 

It was so easy getting lunch ready because it was all made and we were all eating the same thing.  I was actually able to sit down and eat with the kids because I wasn't fishing eight different things out of the pantry and fridge. Sawyer noticed we all had the same thing on our plates, which he thought was pretty cool.

Both kiddos when down for their naps really easily, too.  At this point I'm chalking it up to coincidence.

See you at dinner!








DINNER UPDATE:

Dinner was hit and miss.  Ryan and I loved it, and Emery gobbled down her pureed version.  Yep, I just took the whole meal and stuck an immersion blender in it with some water, and let it whirl.  

Sawyer, on the other hand, didn't touch his plate.  He looked at it with a big fat "yuck!"  I also gave the kiddos sweet potatoes to increase their carbs a little bit, but he didn't even want that tonight.  So there is a little boy going to bed hungry in our house.  We don't force him to eat, but we also don't accomodate his fickle-ness.  Tomorrow I may actually mush his up a little bit like Emery's and see if he wants to eat it with a little more moisture and less "chunks of stuff".

I had a special treat for him tonight, too, but I guess that will just have to wait until tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews

Search This Blog